Friday 22 November 2013

Tonteria


This is the actual name of this restaurant/club that could be translated into 'stupidity' or 'stupid thing' and to this date I still believe that is what I did when I went there. This may sound a bit hursh, as I actually (and thanks for the wine and the tequila) had good time but that's probably because I had the chance to catch up with a friend that I hadn't seen in a while and she's amazing (even if I missed most of the 'fun' but I'll get to that in a second).

So this place is in the posh part of town so I knew what I could expect (a lot of fluffy but zero actual good content), although when I saw it was a Mexican restaurant my hopes lifted as I actually thought that I'd have a nice dinner but it turns out that the highlight - maybe in this place called low light because they turn the lights off - happens when a train full of tequila shots is delivered to the table who has placed the order. As I implied, I wasn't impressed with the food at all and the first time the train came I was a little excited but after the 5th time I just wanted it to stop. Then it just gets more surreal - not to call it ridicoulus - when they serve a pyramid of shots or they dress as 'lucha mexicana' fighters and sing along 'happy birthday'.

Eventually they remove the tables and the restaurant turns into a night club where the drinks just increase in price (x3). At this point I was utterly shocked and decided that the tequila will numb me enough to stop seeing the half dressed waiters or bouncers with fighters' masks and hords of posh youngsters paying crazy prices for drinks. The issue was that I went a little too far and I had to leave so I missed the part when people decide to "dance" - basically bodies  merged into some sort of latino move -  and you have to get into a fight to make it to the toilets. The mistery of the 'misplaced' purse will get into another post...


DETAILS:
Tonteria www.tonteria.co.uk/ - 7-12 Sloane Square, London SW1W 8EG

No comments:

Post a Comment